This week is a simple posting, simply because its straightforward. And often being straightforward is what’s necessary. Here are 5 tips to help athletes still seeking a spot at the 2019 signing table.
- Keep looking at schools, keep your options open, and keep talking with college coaches because there is one more signing period that begins in April. Most importantly, don’t give up.
- The last day of the April signing period is July 31st. While most students and parents would rather know where their son/daughter will be attending in the fall. Some college coaches are still looking for athletes in May or June. Its not ideal, but it is an option.
- Grades remain an important factor in the recruiting process so keep grades on point. As the scholarship monies for college coaches reduces having high marks can help tip the scholarship budget in your favor.
- For many student-athletes junior colleges are also in the recruiting mix. If the opportunity is available the JUCO option is worth considering. There is no shame in the game of trying to improve and better your situation. In fact, many athletes have used junior colleges as a springboard to successful professional careers.
- Lastly, if you haven’t to this point, be honest with yourself and find someone to help you. If you’ve been trying to manage your recruiting all by yourself and haven’t gotten the results you wanted obviously what you’ve been doing hasn’t been working. Swallow your pride then go ask someone like a coach, mentor, or recruiting coach like me to help you.